This is a fantastic part of London which has been inhabited by various different groups of immigrants over the years. This is Spitalfields which today is becoming gentrified with its elegant houses, trendy restaurants and brilliant graffiti art. This is the story of rags to riches and delves into the vibrant East End, home to wave after wave of immigrants from all over the world. On this walk we'll see the following:
- A mediaeval charnel house - a repository for bones
- We will walk through Jack the Ripper stomping ground
- Visit a Jewish Soup kitchen
- See the old silk weavers houses (Huguenots)
- Walk down Brick Lane known for being London's curry capital.
- If the timing is right, take a visit to Denis Severs' House, a converted 17th century huguenot house.
- We will look at the street art in this area which nominates the streets around Spitalfields and nearby areas. Perhaps we'll find a Banksy?
- Try some food , some bangladeshi delicacies or a traditional Jewish bagel, or the best English Fish n chips in London
- Stroll through Spitalfields market, once famous for its fruit and veg but today known for its arts n crafts, jewellery and fashion.