A Highlights Tour of the National Gallery with a Blue Badge Guide
The National Gallery is arguably one of the world's greatest art galleries of European art from 13th to 19th centuries. I will select some of the highlights from its 2300 paintings which will demonstrate most major developments in Western European art. My highlights tour consists of a selection of world famous paintings, some of my personal favourites and anything you specifically request in advance. Here are a few of those to give you an idea of what to expect:
- Van Gogh's Sunflowers 1888 - sells more postcards than any other artwork. But what's the real story behind this painting?
- Diego Velázquez- the Rokeby Venus 1647-51- Find out how this painting shocked a suffragette, 100 years ago.
- The Execution of Lady Jane Grey - 1833, Paul Delaroche: When this went on show, barriers had to be erected to control the crowds who flocked to see it. Let's find out why.
- Belshazzar’s Feast by Rembrandt van Rijn 1635 - Find out how Rembrandt was influenced by a Jewish Scholar in this dramatic painting.
- The Hay Wain by John Constable - Why has this been regarded as the nation's favourite painting? It is however, rivalled only by Banksy's Girl with a Balloon which was voted Britain's favourite artwork in 2017. (Coming soon - Graffiti Tour which will include artwork by Banksy)